- Authorities open fire after driver rushes US-Canadian border stationby Sarah Polus on May 30, 2023 at 1:53 am
A Rhode Island man was shot at but uninjured by Maine State troopers on Monday after he refused law enforcement’s orders to stop near the U.S.-Canadian border. A trooper first attempted to stop the driver, identified as Tony Holford of Providence, near Houlton, Maine, when he saw a sign indicating that the driver had an…
- Congress can help kick start Biden’s Southeast Asia policy by Sam Baron, opinion contributor on May 30, 2023 at 1:30 am
Over the past decade, Southeast Asia has become an increasingly important geostrategic region for the United States. With four member-states of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) now among America’s top 20 bilateral trade partners, more American companies than ever-before relocating their supply chains to countries like Vietnam, and military threats across the region…
- Key GOP lawmaker notes DeSantis voted to raise debt ceilingby Sarah Fortinsky on May 30, 2023 at 12:41 am
Rep. Dusty Johnson (R-S.D.) noted that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) voted to increase the debt ceiling while serving in the House, when asked in an interview on News Nation Monday to respond to criticism of the newly announced bipartisan deal from DeSantis and former President Trump. “It’s said that you campaign in poetry, and…
- Ritchie Torres: ‘The deal is bad,’ but default ‘much worse’by Sarah Fortinsky on May 30, 2023 at 12:09 am
Progressive Rep. Ritchie Torres (D-N.Y.) said Monday that President Biden “did the best he could” in debt ceiling negotiations Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.). “The choice is not between good versus bad. The choice is between bad versus worse, the deal is bad. But the alternative a default on America would be much worse. It would…
- Trump escalates attacks on judges amid increasing legal scrutinyby Rebecca Beitsch on May 29, 2023 at 11:51 pm
As former President Trump’s legal problems mount, he is frequently lashing out at a familiar target: judges. Trump has taken aim at the judge overseeing the civil case involving the writer E. Jean Carroll, deriding him as a “Clinton-appointed judge.” The former president has also claimed the judge handling the hush money case brought against…
- Scorsese meets with pope, announces new film about Jesusby Sarah Fortinsky on May 29, 2023 at 11:03 pm
American film director Martin Scorsese announced over the weekend, shortly after meeting with the pope, that he would soon begin making a new film about Jesus, according to multiple reports. The announcement came at a Rome conference Saturday at the Vatican, entitled “The Global Aesthetics of the Catholic Imagination,” and was a response to Pope…
- The bipartisan bill that could heal the mental health effects of climate changeby Lisa Reyes Mason, opinion contributor on May 29, 2023 at 10:30 pm
Climate change affects every aspect of our lives. From heat waves that put our health at risk, to severe storms that damage our infrastructure and homes. From the stress of rising food insecurity to the disruptions of school closures when extreme weather hits. Another area that climate change hurts — and is deeply interconnected with…
- Cruz condemns sweeping anti-gay Uganda law as ‘horrific’ and ‘wrong’by Sarah Fortinsky on May 29, 2023 at 10:08 pm
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) took aim Monday at Uganda’s sweeping new anti-gay law that could include the death penalty, describing it as “horrific & wrong” and calling on other nations to join in his condemnation of the new legislation. “This Uganda law is horrific & wrong. Any law criminalizing homosexuality or imposing the death penalty…
- Trump retakes lead from DeSantis in California GOP primary pollby Sarah Fortinsky on May 29, 2023 at 9:59 pm
Former President Trump has retaken the lead from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) among California’s likely 2024 Republican primary voters, a poll released Sunday reveals. In the survey by the University of California-Berkeley Institute of Government Studies (IGS), 44 percent of the Golden State’s likely GOP primary voters said they supported Trump, while 26 percent…
- Ramaswamy embraces ‘outsider’ label as he takes on Trumpby Caroline Vakil on May 29, 2023 at 9:29 pm
Biotech entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy is casting himself as the true outsider in the Republican presidential field as he seeks to distinguish himself from a number of higher-profile names in his long-shot bid for the White House. Recent national surveys have shown Ramaswamy, who’s built a national brand for himself as an “anti-woke” crusader, polling in…
- What is the debt ceiling?by Amber Phillips on May 29, 2023 at 6:42 pm
What happens when Congress raises the debt ceiling? What happens if the government defaults? It will not be pretty if the federal government defaults on the national debt.
- Biden, McCarthy turn to selling debt ceiling deal to restive Congressby Marianna Sotomayor on May 29, 2023 at 1:57 am
House GOP and Democratic leaders must overcome numerous hurdles as they assess whether they have enough votes to push through a debt ceiling compromise bill.
- Texas Republicans pass voting bills targeting large Democratic countyby Patrick Marley on May 29, 2023 at 12:55 am
The new law would single out Houston, with its sizable Black population, for a different election process.
- This low-profile committee could sink or save the Biden-McCarthy dealby Paul Kane on May 28, 2023 at 6:36 pm
Kevin McCarthy agreed to add three far-right conservatives to the Rules Committee in order to win enough votes to become House speaker. That trio now holds the fate of this legislation in their hands.
- Women who support Trump cite party, economy over sexual misconductby Colby Itkowitz on May 28, 2023 at 1:34 pm
Women in a key swing county in Pennsylvania say they’d still vote for Trump, even after a New York jury found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation of E. Jean Carroll.
- Biden circle seeks to boost Harris ahead of 2024by Cleve R. Wootson Jr. on May 28, 2023 at 10:00 am
Biden’s team is seeking to bolster Harris amid renewed questions on his age as he seeks reelection
- Biden, McCarthy reach ‘agreement in principle’ to raise debt ceiling as default loomsby Tony Romm on May 28, 2023 at 3:19 am
Congress still has to pass the agreement. Otherwise, the U.S. government could run out of cash on June 5.
- California Democrats divided on Dianne Feinstein serving to term’s endby Maeve Reston on May 28, 2023 at 2:39 am
In California, Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s health status is still stirring consternation among her supporters and detractors alike.
- McCarthy’s salesmanship to conservatives to be tested with debt dealby Paul Kane on May 28, 2023 at 1:43 am
President Biden declared that the final deal must be something he and the House speaker “can sell to both sides.” McCarthy faces the tougher test.
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has been impeached. Here’s why.by Timothy Bella on May 27, 2023 at 10:40 pm
The attorney general was impeached Saturday by fellow Republicans, the first time in nearly 50 years that an official has been ousted by the Texas legislature.